3 non-toxic ways to getting rid of mold in your house naturally
Finding mould of any kind is upsetting, especially when you find it growing in your home. While there are types of mould that aren't particularly harmful to us, especially if they're caught early on, there are other types like black mould that can be very harmful to our health. There have been studies that show that long-term exposure to mould can result in health issues from congestion and sinus issues to headaches and even respiratory conditions. In your home, it can cause damage to wood and drywall, and if it's left too long, it can cause rot which will cause the structure to be compromised. Mould is caused by excess moisture in your home as well as warmth. If you live in a place that's constantly rainy or very humid and warm naturally, you will have an increased risk for mould. We can prevent mould from growing by keeping the air in our homes dry by using a dehumidifier and by using extraction fans in the bathroom and in the kitchen when steaming or boiling. If you already have mould growing somewhere in your home, you will need to get on cleaning it right away so that it doesn't spread any further. Mould can grow really quickly too, so the sooner you clean it, the better.
There are a few great cleaning tips from Green House that you can try so that you can learn what kills mould and how to remove mould from your home safely and easily. If you have a more intense mould issue, you may have to call the professionals to come and remove it for you. They know how to remove mould that has become more serious and how to eradicated it the safest way possible. One of the best mould remedies out there for mould is tea tree essential oil. You can make a spray with this essential oil just by using 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil mixed with 2 cups of water. Just put it in a spray bottle and shake it up to mix, and then spray it on the mouldy area. Let it sit on the mould to kill it for at least 20 minutes or more and then scrub with a brush to remove the stains and wipe with a clean cloth. Never rinse mould off unless you clean the entire area after. The water can carry the mould spores and cause them to spread.
Vinegar is also great for cleaning mould, and you may even already have some in your home. Just get out some vinegar and pour some into a spray bottle, then spray the mould directly with the plain vinegar. The acids in the vinegar will kill the mould over time, so just leave it to sit on the mould to kill the spores. Then, wipe away with a clean cloth. Hydrogen peroxide is also great for cleaning mould. Just mix one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide with one cup of water and use a cloth to put it on the mould. Then, use a cloth to clean away the mould. Once you've tried any one of the cleaning tips mentioned, you can then use baking soda to keep it from coming back. Mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 2 cups of water and spray it on the area. Just leave it on the area without rinsing to prevent further mould and mildew growth. Also, to keep mould at bay, make sure you're cleaning your bathroom frequently, at least once each week or more depending on how much use it gets. Now that you know what kills mould, you'll be better equipped to handle any household mould that comes your way.***
Learn MORE at Green House
To help with slow website load, we have put all photos for this article here: View photo gallery.