Killing and removing mold and mildew from under our leaking sink

Photo Credit: Homemade Hints

Could a leaking faucet be causing mould to grow in your home? Leaks in pipes and in the roof can be a major cause of mould. Whenever water is allowed to collect and is left standing there's a good chance mould will start growing. Mould is attracted to moisture, especially in darker areas. So if your leaky pipe is hidden behind walls or under your sink, there's an even higher chance that there will be mould growing there. Sometimes you might even have to remove your sink to get to the extent of the mould and clean it all out, so it doesn't keep growing in that area. Once you get to the mould, you can learn how to remove mould and use some of these cleaning tips from Homemade Hints to get rid of it and prevent it from returning. Not only can mould damage the materials our homes are made of, but it can also cause some pretty bad health issues. Mould in our homes can cause us to have respiratory issues and allergies due to inhaling the mould spores which are floating in the air. Mould spores are always in the air in smaller amounts, but when you have black mould growing in your home, you are more susceptible to the negative effects of mould.

This is why you want to stop mould growth and then prevent mould from growing back. Your first step will be to eliminate all moisture in the area by drying up any water. You'll also want to fix the leaky pipe right away as well to prevent more water from dripping. Use a small heater or a hair dryer to dry up the water. Just be sure to monitor the heater if you use one sp that you don't start a fire. Once the leak is fixed, and the water stops dripping it will begin to dry. Let the water dry up over the course of about two days or so, and once it's entirely dry, you can start cleaning up the water. Use rubbing alcohol on the mould to kill it. Rubbing alcohol works to kill the mould and it also evaporates which helps to keep the area dry. Take some plain rubbing alcohol and put it in a spray bottle. Then spray it all over the mouldy area. Let it dry and then repeat this three times. You can also use some bleach if you like, or white distilled vinegar if you prefer using something more natural. Other natural cleaners that get rid of mould include hydrogen peroxide, borax and tea tree oil. Scrub the mould off using a toothbrush and make sure that the area is completely dry when you're finished, so the mould doesn't return.

If you find that the mould has really gotten into the wood or drywall, you may have to replace some materials to get rid of it entirely. You can use special paint that is designed to be painted over mould, but only use this after you've cleaned it up and only once it's totally out of your home. You may want to do a couple of follow up treatments over the following couple of weeks to ensure that you've gotten rid of all mould spores. Then, you can paint over it with the mould resistant paint. Learning how to remove mould is easy with cleaning tips like this, and preventing it in your home is easy as long as you remember to keep your home dry and get rid of humidity. Try out these cleaning tips and see how well they work to get rid of the mould in your home.***

Learn MORE at Homemade Hints

To help with slow website load, we have put all photos for this article here: View photo gallery.

Privacy Policy