Recaulk Around Tub - Check Washer Hoses and More Spring To Do's
It's the time of the year when you want to go through your list of cleaning projects and home maintenance, so your home will be at it's best. The best way to do this is to have a time of the year where you work on your list, to help ensure that everything gets done on a regular basis. This list of 19 Easy Home Upgrades for April is a good place to start and get you started on getting everything done. The following are just some of the diy ideas, and cleaning tips you will find on the list.
1. Head Off Spring Allergies. Spring can be the time of year when allergies flare. One easy way to help keep pollen and allergens out of the home is with a welcome mat for the front door. Prevent pollen and other allergens from spreading deeper into your house by placing area rugs in the entryways.
2. Recaulk Around Bathtubs. A cleaning tip for the bathroom is to clean the caulk around a bathtub surround. Ensure that no water is seeping behind the bathroom tiles by removing the old caulk and DIY idea for replacing it with fresh caulk that is formulated for tubs and tile.
3. Refresh Old Potting Soil. If last year's potted plants were healthy, you could reuse the same soil this year. All you have to do is remove old foliage or roots, and fluff the soil up with 25 percent peat moss or compost.
4. Mix up How You Mow. This diy idea for a beautiful lawn will have you changing the direction each time you cut the lawn to help grass blades grow upright, not tilted in the direction that you mow.
5. Plant a Tree on April 29. This is a wonderful diy idea to help honor Arbor Day. To get in the spirit, you should consider planting a fast-growing flowering species of tree that will offer plenty of color. In hot, sunny climates, you might try a crape myrtle, in cooler zones, you might try a purple leaf sand cherry. Both trees can grow up to two feet per year. Make sure to choose a planting site that is large enough to accommodate future root and canopy growth.
6. Clean and Seal Your Fireplace. Keep critters from holing up in your chimney by closing up your flue until fall. Then schedule a cleaning and inspection—you can often get lower rates in the off-season.
7. Get the Air Conditioner Ready to Work. Give the airconditioning system a whirl now so that you will have plenty of time to schedule a service call if needed, before they get booked up in the warm weather.
8. Open Seldom-Used Taps. If the guest baths haven't been used in a month or longer, make sure to run faucets and flush the toilets to keep the traps from drying out and causing any unpleasant odors.
9. Reseed Bare Patches On The Lawn. Fill any bald spots on the lawn by raking and sprinkling with some garden soil and grass seed. Make sure to water regularly to help keep seeds moist.
10. Fix Driveway Cracks. Winter ice can cause new cracks or broaden cracks in concrete driveways. For narrow concrete gaps, apply a masonry crack filler, and in wider ones, use some patching mortar.
11. Clean Your Doormat. Dirty mats are less effective at trapping dust and debris when they are too dirty. A cleaning tip for the front doormat is to clean it on a regular basis. To clean use a vacuum to clean out the caked-in dirt, so the mats are ready for muddy spring shoes. You will find these DIY ideas at This Old House site. On the site DIY ideas, cleaning tips, natural house cleaners, how to's, home ideas and so much more. **
Learn MORE at This Old House
To help with slow website load, we have put all photos for this article here: View photo gallery.